Sandra Jarvis-Selinger, PhD
Dr. Jarvis-Selinger is the Associate Dean, Academic and Professor in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of British Columbia. In 2008 she received a Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Career Investigator Award. She is a PhD-trained educational specialist and researcher in the area of Human Learning, Development and Instruction (UBC Faculty of Education). Her work focuses on educational innovation and knowledge translation, which specifically includes: 1) understanding identity formation in health sciences’ students and clinicians, 2) developing teaching excellence, 3) curriculum design, development and evaluation, and 4) using technology to support education. Her research supports the development, implementation, and evaluation of effective pedagogical approaches in health education. Through knowledge translation, innovative pedagogical approaches, and respectful research partnerships, her research addresses positive curricular change, effective lifelong learning and professional identity formation by supporting critical educational transitions.
In addition to her UBC administrative and faculty roles, for 12 years she was the educational faculty member for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ annual course for Orthopaedic Educators and for the American Orthopaedic Association and is currently the educational faculty lead for the International Pediatric Orthopaedic Symposium and the Harvard Macy Institute for the Health Professions. In 2015, in her former role as Assistant Dean in the UBC Faculty of Medicine, she won the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada’s (AFMC) award for Outstanding Contribution to Faculty Development in Canada.
- Professional identity formation
- Curriculum design, development and evaluation
- Technology-enabled mentoring and education
Jarvis-Selinger S, MacNeil KA, Holmes CL, Costello GRL, Lee K. Understanding Professional Identity Formation in Early Clerkship. Academic Medicine, 2019; doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000002835.
Amari E, Choi E, Clark J, Sadownik L, Broekhuyse H, Wong R, Jarvis-Selinger S. Developing and Implementing a Systems-based Residents as Teachers Initiative. AMEE MedEdPublish 8, , 67, https://doi.org/10.15694/mep.2019.000137.1
Hacken B, Jarvis-Selinger S, Armstrong A, Black S, Pratt DD, Black KP. A Systems-Based Practice Curriculum in Orthopaedics: Successes and Challenges Moving Forward. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2019; 101(1): e2.
Jarvis-Selinger S, Hubinette M. The Matrix: Moving from Principles to Pragmatics in Renewing Undergraduate Medical Curricula. Academic Medicine, 2018; 93(10), 1464-71.
Crawford S, McInnes G, Jarvis-Selinger S, Harris D. The nursing shift: Measuring the effect of inter-professional education on medical students in the emergency department. CJEM, 2017; 19(S1), S91-S92.
Jarvis-Selinger, S., Pratt, D., & Regehr, G. (2012). Competency is not enough: Integrating identity formation into the medical education discourse. Academic Medicine, 87, 1185-1190.
- Jarvis-Selinger S, Wisener K, Stanley B. Aboriginal eMentoring BC: Building pathways to health professional careers for aboriginal youth. Joint Standing Committee’s Rural Education Action Plan (Sept 2017 – Aug 2022). $900,822
- Gerber P, Banback N. Phinney A, Black C, Jarvis-Selinger S. Design, Development, and Implementation of a Certificate in Canadian Health and Healthcare for Working Professionals. Online Learning Advancement Fund (September 2019 – December 2021). $159,070
- Lim T, Jarvis-Selinger S, Drynan D, Harper L. A Public Health Symposium and Workshop on Racism in the Healthcare System. UBC Anti-Racism Initiatives Fund. (August 2021-August 2022). $8,000
- Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada’s (AFMC) Award for Outstanding Contribution to Faculty Development in Canada (2015)
- Faculty of Medicine’s Distinguished Achievement Award – Excellence in Education (2011)
- Department of Surgery’s Hjalmar Johnson Outstanding New Investigator Award (2010)
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Career Investigator Award (2008)