The MHPE-Canada is an international Master of Health Professions Education from the School of Health Professions Education at Maastricht University (the Netherlands). Although the degree is conferred from Maastricht University, the curriculum and research thesis supervision are delivered in part from CHES in Vancouver, British Columbia and the Centre for Education Research & Innovation (CERI) in London, Ontario.
The MHPE is a two-year, part-time research degree program that is primarily distance-based with annual, three-week courses that are delivered on-site at CHES or CERI. Campus Period 1 is typically delivered during the first three weeks of July, and Campus Period 2 in May/June of the following year.
The program focuses on the acquisition of knowledge and skills relevant for a career in the field of education and education research for the health professions, with thesis supervision and mentorship offered by local experts in the field.
As of July 2021, we will be implementing an updated MHPE curriculum to ensure that new insights and theories are included into the program, to support future leaders in Health Professions Education to really make a difference. In the words of Maastricht University, “Innovation is part of SHE’s DNA. We have revisited the MHPE curriculum in order to make the programme even stronger, more up-to-date and in keeping with current challenges in the field of HPE”. For a full curriculum overview please see Maastricht University’s website and watch the following video in which MHPE director Danielle Verstegen introduces the new MHPE programme: video.
The MHPE-Canada program is open to students who have acquired a university degree in one of the health professions. Applications for a competitive admission process are accepted in the fall. Due to limited supervisory capacity, priority may be given to applicants who are affiliated with the local site.
MHPE-Canada Application Process
The following documentation must be submitted as part of the application process:
- Current CV
- Statement of Intent (max. 2 pages), addressing the following questions:
- Why do you want to pursue a graduate degree in health professions education?
- What previous experience and/or training in health professions (or non-health professions) education or research would you bring to your graduate study?
- How would the MHPE fit into your current and future career plans?
- Description of an educational problem or issue that interests the applicant (max.1 page).
- Departmental Letter of Support (max. 2 pages), outlining protected time over the 2-year term of the program, as well as 100% protected time to participate in both of the 3-week face-to-face course blocks. Note: if you are self-employed, indicate in your Statement of Intent how you plan to protect time for the MHPE.
The deadline for 2022 applications is Friday December 17 2021.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: CHES MHPE Application.
On receiving your application we will email you to confirm it has been received and to inform you of the next steps. If you do not hear back from us by the 3rd January please do get in touch with us, emailing both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any queries regarding the Program, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us: email@example.com
Maastricht Online Certificate Courses
Maastricht University is offering three online certificate courses, with each one being an equivalent to a specific section of the Master of Health Professions Education (MHPE) program. Taking these courses is excellent preparation for the full MHPE program – and should you enroll in the MHPE at a later date, you may skip the corresponding sections of the program already completed.