The MHPE-Canada is an international Master of Health Professions Education from the School of Health Professions Education at Maastricht University (the Netherlands). Although the degree is conferred from Maastricht University, the curriculum and research thesis supervision are delivered in part from CHES in Vancouver, British Columbia and the Centre for Education Research & Innovation (CERI) in London, Ontario.
The MHPE is a two-year, part-time research degree program that is primarily distance-based with annual, three-week courses that are delivered on-site at CHES or CERI. Unit 1 is typically delivered during the first three weeks of July, and Unit 7 in May/June.
The program focuses on the acquisition of knowledge and skills relevant for a career in the field of education and education research for the health professions. Thesis supervision and mentorship are offered by local experts in the field. For a full curriculum overview, see Maastricht University’s website.
The MHPE-Canada program is open to students who have acquired a university degree in one of the health professions. Applications for a competitive admission process are accepted in the fall. Due to limited supervisory capacity, priority may be given to applicants who are affiliated with the local site.
MHPE-Canada Application Process
The following documentation must be submitted as part of the application process:
- Current CV
- Statement of Intent (max. 2 pages), addressing the following questions:
- Why do you want to pursue a graduate degree in health professions education?
- What previous experience and/or training in health professions (or non-health professions) education or research would you bring to your graduate study?
- How would the MHPE fit into your current and future career plans?
- Description of an educational problem or issue that interests the applicant (max.1 page).
- Departmental Letter of Support (max. 2 pages), outlining protected time over the 2-year term of the program, as well as 100% protected time to participate in both of the 3-week face-to-face course blocks. Note: if you are self-employed, indicate in your Statement of Intent how you plan to protect time for the MHPE.
Submit applications to the Educational Program Assistant.
The deadline for applications is the 3rd Friday in December.
If you have questions about the program or about the application process, please contact the Educational Program Assistant.
Maastricht Online Certificate Courses
Maastricht University is offering three online certificate courses, with each one being an equivalent to a specific section of the Master of Health Professions Education (MHPE) program. Taking these courses is excellent preparation for the full MHPE program – and should you enroll in the MHPE at a later date, you may skip the corresponding sections of the program already completed.